Friday 18 November 2011

Welcome to Shanghai

I am starting to think Sky Sports have it in for me. The temptation of daily darting delight on TV is certainly distracting my own practice, although it has been another positive week.

If I am completely honest, my home practise hours have started to dwindle. It is proving very difficult to match practice with game play scenarios, although I have started to bulk up on planned actions within my practise sessions, mainly thanks to the help of the Darts Performance Centre (www.dartsperformancecentre.com)

Terrific Tuesday

My Tuesday night in the club was brilliant this week. I made it down at 9.30pm and was quickly thrown in to action with a couple of single’s games, which I lost miserably. Without laying blame too sternly on one cause, I hadn’t warmed up one bit.

We soon swapped to doubles, and in a similar fashion to a week previous, my partner and I weren’t too long about upsetting the odds once again. We got off to a flier with some steady shooting, a few 140’s between us as well as finishing a number of legs with a decent double percentage.

Wait, it’s wrong to go for the 180???

Personally, I was throwing some steady 60’s, but still very capable of a 45, 26 and even a 7 which really annoyed me. Last week, I mentioned one of my goals was to score the elusive 180 in a game play scenario. But when gifted with the chance, it turned out I went for the wrong choice.

Left with 233, the first two had nestled in the 60. Without even thinking, I wound up for the third before my partner said to swap down to 19’s. I stopped myself, and suddenly had a conundrum Geoff Stelling would be proud of. Hit the 180 or set my partner up….

The delay in itself had put me out of sync, and when I eventually threw for the 180 it dropped low to leave 93 in a leg we eventually would lose. What I have learned? A 180 would be brilliant, but is it more important than giving yourself the best opportunity to win a leg? Of course not.



Wait… I win???

Come the end of the night, I have learned that the players swap from 501 to a game called Shanghai. This basically means everyone has three darts at numbers 1 through 9, and whoever scores the highest combined tally will take the money. If someone hits a ‘Shanghai’ i.e. a dart in the single, double and treble, then they would automatically win the match.

Nine players started out, and I managed to build up an early lead thanks to some treble 3’s and 4’s. With a couple of players ‘falling’, which means missing any odd number with any of their three darts, I ended up winning the game with a score of 137, which I am told is not too shabby. I was elated, so encouraged with an apparent development in my play to the point where I can outscore eight others in this scenario.

1. Singles Tournaments
This is goal number one, and there is actually movement in this one tonight (Friday 18th November). I am playing my first singles tournament tonight, and my aim is simple. Just get through the first round Aidan!!

2. The elusive 180!
Could have happened last week. I am knocking on the door, hope it will come my way in the next couple of weeks.

3. Stay on for four or more games in the club
Managed to stay on for a couple last week in doubles, would like to transfer this to singles matches now!

Average is still hanging around the 55/60 mark this week. Plenty of improvement in other areas this week, so overall I am thrilled. A huge thanks to everyone who continues to offer their support and advice, as always it’s hugely appreciated. You can find me on Twitter (@A_Farrelly) or email: throwlikeaprodarts@gmail.com

Cheers

A

No comments: