Monday 12 December 2011

The Perfect Darting Storm

Since my last post, a lot has changed. I have changed darts, stems, flights, pre-throw routine, grip of the darts, release point of the dart, stance on the oche. In other words... EVERYTHING. This was a makeover Gok Wan himself would have been proud of.
And only now can I truly understand why. See, I have spent the last three weeks really struggling with this game, and the complexity of it all. I lost all trust in my throw, I had no faith in myself; and all that was going through my mind was that if I change this, it might make my darts perfect.

Yes - I changed everything about my throw for one reason... to find that perfect dart. I have been so caught up in reaching a certain standard of throwing, that I can’t remember the last time I enjoyed a leg of darts. I was getting frustrated when I missed a fat 20, and the only thing that I could think was to change in order for this not to happen again.
Time
If this journey is to be a true success, there are a couple of limitations that I need to come to terms with now if my stress levels are to be managed. No one just suddenly becomes a brilliant darts thrower, did they?
Over the last few days, I have really peeled back the layers and began to refocus. Changing everything did bring about some positives; I am back to the dart I started out with; it is still the shape and weight of the barrel that proves more fruitful than any others. And more importantly, it feels right. The commitment I need to make now is to stick with this dart for the next 6 months. REGARDLESS if I don’t hit one treble in that time.
Standards
I am speaking as if my darts are terrible at the minute, and in truth they aren’t. I have taken part in a couple of tournaments, and won some matches. The major flaw is simple; when I am throwing badly, I immediately change my throw. I have spoken before about the importance of mental strength in this game, and by god have I learned this the hard way lately.
The Darts Performance Centre has once again been crucially important in this process. Having someone to talk to about my struggles was imperative, as Paul was able to bring me back down to earth. As far as they are concerned, there are certain parts of a throw that are vital, and need to stay consistent if you are to improve.
So What Now?
I have made some realisations recently, and just incorporating these in to my approach are already helping my game.
1.      Pressure: It’s just for tyres. I have to take the pressure off my throw; I won’t win every leg, I won’t score 100 or even 60 every throw. And for now, that’s OK!
2.      Trust the Process: I have now found a throw that is working. I have scored many 140’s in my last couple of training sessions, and taken out some shots like 106, 111 and 124, so the routine I have now is working. It’s all about the fine tuning, so when I throw 26, 45 or even the odd 7, that’s OK! I just need to remind myself that this throw has worked before, and will work again.
3.      Give Every Dart A Chance: My third dart has more often than not landed where I want it, even if my first and second stray from the target. The ability to stay positive, even if the first dart lands in the 5 is vital from now on.
So that is where I am at right now. Everyone that I have been talking to lately tells me these mental slumps happen, and to embrace it rather than hide from it. I am the other side of it now, and ready to start winning some matches again.
Can’t wait for the World’s to start, but they won’t distract me from my own practice! Thanks for reading, and as always feel free to get in touch with your comments / advice.
Cheers,
A

No comments: