Monday 16 January 2012

A New Year, with New Goals!

January always spells a new era, a fresh outlook, and a positive perspective. And for me, that has been true, well kind of…

Ok, so I started out on this journey in 2011 with the hope of becoming a professional darts player. Can this still happen…? I think so. Will it be anytime soon…? God no! I knew what I was getting myself in to, a life of tireless practising, and the bitter frustration of a poor visit to the oche coupled with the elation when the third dart flicks in to the double, when the previous two had been a mile away.

A modest assessment would indicate an improvement in my game. It took me a while to build my confidence, and it has been desperately dashed in the tournaments I have played over the Christmas period, even though there are more positives than negatives.

What have I learned about my game?

One of my goals last year was to win four games in a row against the lads in the club. I have done that and more in the last month or so, I think I stretched one run out to seven games on the trot before I fell foul to some double trouble. This was a brilliant feeling, just to hit the double so often tells you you’re doing something right.

I am thinking way too much about this game, to the extent where I am still struggling to find a routine and grip that I am 100% comfortable with. I have commitment issues. When I am on the board at home, I will regularly change something about my throw, possibly three or four times in one practice session.

How can I expect to become consistent in scoring, if my throw is anything but consistent?



Tournament Summary

I have played in two singles tournaments. The first tournament was an experience, it was played in a round robin style for the opening three games, two of which I won. I got knocked out in a playoff for a semi-final spot, and in that leg my scoring had fallen to a 55/60 avg.

The second tournament was different. A knockout out system from the start, I was expecting a little more from myself. That was until the draw was made. I was given little hope by my peers when they heard my opponent; someone well recognised in the county as a formidable player.

I wasn’t nervous, to be honest I was just hoping to knick the opening leg and see what happened from there. The first to three legs, I started the first with 60, 100, 100. Then I started to feel a little shake in my throwing arm, and although I got to a double first I just couldn’t compose myself.

I had three darts at a double in the second leg, and when I missed the frustration boiled over before my opponent comfortably took the third, and winning leg.

What’s in store for 2012?

I am practising a lot, although I know if I want to take my game to another level, I need to increase my hours on the board considerably. The singles tournaments are coming thick and fast, and I would like to be playing one, if not two a month.

I have until September to make it on to the team for next season’s league games. This is a must for me, playing week in week out against different players and more pressure on the throw is vital for my game to improve.

                                                                  My new set up.

PS. Thanks to all the darts folk on Twitter (@A_Farrelly), Facebook and to everyone who have emailed me (throwlikeaprodarts@gmail.com) over the last few weeks sending on your advice and tips, as always they are welcomed and appreciated. J

Cheers,

A

No comments: