Friday 9 September 2011

My first 180!!!

For some, it’s scoring a goal or hitting a three pointer. For others, it’s the rush of potting three reds and blacks in a row. But for me, from the age of 12 or 13, it’s been about three little arrows nestling perfectly in the lipstick. That elusive 180!!!
The first one is in and I think ok, what have I just done for that one to go in and how can I duplicate it for the second dart. At this point I have thought way too much about it and my second attempt pulls drastically in to the five or one.
On the rare occasion the second one hits the lipstick; and I suddenly need to compose myself. I have completely lost focus on the board and my left arm (yes I am a lefty) is starting to shake. I have 120, it’s a decent trip to the board so I just go for it. Usually, my Raymond Van Barneveld 22g arrow hits a fat 20.
But when it’s a maximum, when that third dart tickles the previous attempts with delicate precision, well I might as well have sunk a 40 footer for the British Open, or lobbed Nadal to win Wimbledon. My reaction; be smooth, just casually stroll up to the board hanging on the brilliant stand invented for those who have no wall space (or a wife unwilling to give up any wall space) and calmly take the three darts out in one, seamless movement.
Yeah ... Right ... The first time I hit a maximum, all I could do is scream. Aaaaaahhhhhh!!! My wife hastily came to my aid, before realising I was upright and appeared in full health. Lllllllook..... LOOK AT THE BOARD!!! At this stage, I have made sure not to move an inch in case she thought I had put the darts in the board illegally.
“Oh... erm ...  well done” she says as if I had just hung a picture on a wall or taken the bins out. Hang on; do you know what I have done? Do you realise I, me, your exceptionally talented husband has done what few have done before me in throwing three perfect darts. She doesn’t however get my enthusiasm.
I was elated, over the moon and physically shaking in my boots. ‘I have to be a professional’ I told myself. ‘What a shame to let this talent go to waste’ I said as I paraded towards the board to take back my darts. I stepped back up to the oche once again, knowing if Taylor himself was in my box room right now he wouldn’t stand a chance.
So after my glorious 180, I was bound to follow it up with another one, or a tonne forty, or at least 100 right? Wrong. 11. Yes, a measly 11. I was crushed, devastated. There would be no shouting for my wife on this occasion, I was too embarrassed. But I took something from that night, as my arm began to hurt as I searched in vain for what I had done first time around.
What I learned from those two minutes of sheer perfection was simple, I want to be a darts player. I want to join the circuit. I want to take on the best in the world. I want to beat the best in the world. I want John McDonnell to introduce me to the Ally Pally to the background music of ‘I’ll tell my ma’ from Shamrock. For anyone curious:
And now I am here. I have never played a competitive game of darts. Never been a member of a club. And this, for me is my first step in becoming a professional thrower. Over the next few weeks, months and years, my plans are exceptionally unrealistic but they are what they are.
I sporadically make the time to practice at home, but from now on I am going to practice for two hours each evening. It’s not enough but it’s a start. The plan is to play 501, limited to 15 darts. Anymore and I count that leg as a loss. I am also going to join my local darts club and start building some competition experience. I need to start talking to other players; pick up some hints and tips.
Why blog about it? Well, when I decided to start this journey, I googled how to become a professional darts player. An article came up about Justin Irwin, a man who left his job to become a pro thrower (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-510504/The-charity-boss-quit--darts-champion.html). Whilst this isn’t a model I am taking too much advice from, it did encourage me to start slowly, put the practice hours in and communicate my experience to anyone vaguely interested.
And so my board is set up and I am ready to go. The darts are sharp and the calculator at the ready. If anyone has any tips or comments, feel free. Be nice though J
Cheers
A

No comments: