Friday 30 September 2011

My date with Barney

When I started this journey, all of three weeks ago, the dreams were big and the gap between the treble 20 and where my first dart landed was bigger. I had a roughly sketched route of development made out in my head, as you can see in my first post; focus on training and begin competing at my local club.

So why do I find myself facing the nerve jingling prospects of taking to the oche against none other that Raymond Van Barneveld in November? As in four weeks away, that November. Thanks to the local club, who are holding a fundraiser, I along with 17 others will pit their wits against the former World Champion. Once I got over the initial shock, and changed my boxers having soiled myself, I began thinking that this is probably the best thing that could have happened in terms of my journey to become a pro.

There’s Optimism and then there’s Stupidity

So I severely doubt I am going to beat Barney. Ok, so you can ask what is the point in playing him if you are saying that from the off. Instead of daydreaming about beating him, I really want to use this as a focus point for my practice. It’s time to knuckle down now and do as much work as I can in the next couple of weeks to just pressure him in the legs, and somehow trying to control my inevitable nervous twitch.

Practice is going fairly well, for a number of reasons. Before this week, I was thinking way too much about the throw, neglecting to let what feels natural just happen. I was worrying about my arm, elbow, fingers, grip etc. The speed, action and stance were other factors I was stressing over, and by the time it felt right, my arm was sore from holding it up for so long.

Now that I have an action I am comfortable with, and one that is helping me group the darts a whole lot better, I am starting to throw regular 100’s and the odd 140. I am still struggling with certain single numbers for some reason, like 11 for example. I just can’t hit it.

Aidan, you require 124

This was the highlight of the week for me. Having spent half an hour on a few different doubles, I started a leg of 501 and started with a 140. Following this up with 60 and a few poor visits, I managed to get down to 124. Consulting with my check out table, it told me to go T60, T16, D8.

So I hit the treble 20, and change my focus to 16’s. Ok, steady…. Damn I hit treble 8. I am gutted. I hadn’t managed a three dart checkout before this. Looking dejected at the board, I suddenly work out I have one dart at tops. Brilliant!!! Ok, go through the routine, take aim. BOOM!! Middle of the double, and I am elated.

To be honest, this nearly felt better than a maximum, with three darts needed in separate beds. Ok so technically, I missed the second dart, just don’t take this away from me. My game is definitely developing, which is keeping my motivational levels on a high.

Darts in Ireland 

It is a very busy time in the world of darts, with the Champions league underway, as well as the World Grand Prix taking place in the Citywest Hotel, Dublin next week. The tournament will take place about 20 minutes away from where I live, and never fails to attract the locals.

During the 2010 tournament, I was afforded the chance to interview every first round winner for local journalism duties. Taylor, Lewis, Barney, Painter, and eventual winner James Wade all spoke to me about their love for Ireland, this tournament and the manner in which they are welcomed year on year. Good luck to everyone next week, although I can’t see past Mr. Taylor reclaiming this one.

I am thinking about including Irish Darts news in the blog, so if there is anyone out there reading this that would like to submit any stories from your local club or would even invite me out to their club for a few legs, you can get me on twitter: @A_Farrelly  or email: throwlikeaprodarts@gmail.com   

I’ll keep you updated on my date with Barney preparations, and as ever if you have any tips or comments you have my contact details. Just be nice J

Cheers

A

No comments: