Friday 7 October 2011

My Darts distracted by … Darts

My Darts distracted by … Darts

There are some sports that captivate audiences at specific times of the year, in a way like no other. When Wimbledon is on, tennis courts around the country suddenly find themselves bulging with players. Snooker clubs can’t keep up with the bookings when it’s Crucible time of year.

For me, when any televised darts competition is on, it always tends to bulk up my interest in throwing. As a kid, I would watch the games on TV with great enthusiasm, and either between sets or at the end of a game, I would make a burst for my garage to throw a quick 501 before the coverage resumed.

Yeah right, sure another set on telly would nearly be complete before I check out, or hear a huge shout from Russ Bray that would entice me back to the couch. And this week has been no different, although it is hampering my own practice somewhat. It has however, been a very positive week for the dream, with a number of developments, big and small, moving me along nicely.

Ok, so I need help!

I am still a little shocked at the level of support I have received since starting this journey, whether it is through twitter ( @A_Farrelly ) or email ( throwlikeaprodarts@gmail.com ) . Fans, players and bloggers alike have been quick to offer tips, practice games and any other advice they feel will help my game and it is hugely appreciated.

The most important stepping stone came when Paul Gillings from The Darts Performance Centre (www.dartsperformancecentre.com) got in touch to offer the supports of his team of experts. I must admit, in just a couple of days, the benefits of their expertise in all areas of the game are already bearing fruit on my throw and something I would recommend to players at any level.

Over the weekend, I will be filming my throw for the guys to analyse, before they send back a complete report on their suggestions. This is just one of the many areas of development they focus on, as well as coaching, preparation tips for tournaments, nutrition, a training plan, goal setting and much much more. I look forward to delving deeper in to their library of resources.

Little changes

I can be a little finicky at times, changing small elements of my game every time I throw. Not good practice, I know. But I still feel like I am forming as a player, and want to be open minded about everything that could add to my game. I chose my double this week; well in fact Simon Whitlock actually chose one for me.

As I watched him in the Grand Prix, he was opening with D10. He was willing to sacrifice a higher number for a bed he was comfortable with, and as a lefty D10 seems to work very well for me. I will be aiming for tops first of course, but that is just so if I pull it low, I am left on a number I am comfortable with.

Practice is going very well; there is a structure now which I try to stick to routinely as more often than not it pays off. I start with hitting big 1-20, double 1-20 and treble 1-20. Then I start throwing a few legs of 501, or 301. I will be implementing a lot of Darts Performance Centre’s training programme in to my game as the weeks move along.

In two legs in a row, I managed to take out a 104 and 107 check out which was good, a long with a few 140’s. The magical maximum evaded me this week, but that’s ok. Next week is a landmark week; I am heading out to play in the club. I am itching for some competitive legs. I will keep the expectations low, hope not to embarrass myself and try and knick a few games while I am there.

I haven’t had a fight with the board for a while now, or at least when I do we can work out our differences there and then instead of me blazing off in fury.  That’s always a positive. I hate when we are fighting, just makes things awkward around the house.

Mr. Dolan

I must pay tribute to Brendan Dolan who has already had an emphatic week on the oche in Dublin. It has been a week of shocks so far, and no doubt they will continue as the double start continues to trip up the big boys. I went for Phil Taylor last week, and after his little scare, I still back him to take it down. The crowd was tame on Monday and Tuesday, but as I reassured Lenny Boyle, the Irish would wake up eventually.

I am picking up my sponsorship card for My Date with Barney tonight, so it is definitely happening. 5th November. As milestones go, if a match against Barney can’t motivate me to practice, nothing ever will.

Cheers

A

No comments: