Friday 14 October 2011

Oh consistency, where art thou?

Oh the frustration of it all!

The rollercoaster is truly in gear this week. At times I am throwing brilliant, to the point where I have thrown two 180’s this week. But I am still more often than not saying hello to the 1, or treble 1 on each visit. I’ll cast you back….

Saturday 8th October

I am on the edge of my couch, watching the masterful Brendan Dolan manage his way past James Wade in the Semi-final of the World Grand Prix, the beautiful 9 darter and all. When it’s over, I head out to the board and start flinging a few. 15 minutes later and hitting a double is just too easy, and the first of this week’s maximum comes before I let a scream which does it’s best to wake the kids.

I was in the zone, very focussed, my pre-throw routine was solid and my mental game was good, as in my self confidence was quite high. I knew the dart was going where I intended, and what a feeling that is.

Tuesday 11th October

And here it is, my first night throwing with the local club. I had talked enough about going for the last few weeks and it was time to just get out there. Driving down in the car, I was confident that my game was at a standard where I could at least compete with my fellow throwers.

Ladies and gentlemen, I introduce to you; Self-doubt! It took all of one visit to the board for my darting world to collapse around me. But how can it be so fickle, I hear you ask? As one thrower said to me as I visibly oozed disbelief; “There is a huge difference between practicing darts, and playing darts.”



The night really opened my eyes; I am miles away from competing at this level never mind a professional circuit. I managed to hit a couple of trebles, one double in 10 attempts, and in general there was just no consistency in my game.

My hands were dripping with sweat, my routine was left at home and I was all too worried about the people watching me throw rather than focus on throwing the dart. But I am back next week, so I will be eager to see if I have overcome those original nerves to do myself justice.

I managed to catch up with Paul from www.dartsperformancecentre.com again, and he gave me some brilliant advice having listened to my feedback, and my practice since has been encouraging. I am learning that mental strength in this game is vitally important. News to me...

End on a high

Last night, I did manage another 180, partnered by a litter of 100’s and 140’s, so on a whole it has been a hugely positive week. The countdown to my date with Barney is truly on now, the sponsorship cards are out and the nerves have started already. Just two weeks left …

Thanks again to everyone who has been in touch offering support, advice etc. It is making this journey a lot more enjoyable. As always, your feedback is greatly appreciated. Be nice J

Cheers

A

No comments: