Monday 24 October 2011

What a bunch of ... Darts

“They say talking to yourself is the first sign of madness. In fact, in this game, it is the first sign of genius.”
Last week laid bare my frustration in a severe lack of consistency in my game. But it wasn’t just a lack of consistency in my throw, but also my approach, my stance, and in my whole pre-throw routine.
This was my focus for the week, and in just a few days the difference has been immense. I have spoken about it before, and the manner in which I approach the oche, raise my arm, lock my elbow and release the dart has all become regimented.
It doesn’t work every time, and I am still watching my third darts curl in to the Triple 1. But it’s the basics that count, and I am really encouraged with how my basic game play is improving. Practising at home is still where I throw most, although the more I go down to the club, the more I realise how important feeling the pressure on my throw counts.
Double dilemma
My second night in the club was a polar opposite to my first; it couldn’t have gone any better. My first leg of the night was, if I say so myself, a little remarkable. Bearing in mind 7 days previous, I couldn’t get a decent score on the board, having a dart at a double on a 14 dart leg isn’t too shabby.
To be honest, I barely had the time to take off my coat, never mind warm up but began bunching the darts fairly well. I stepped up to the board with 148 remaining. Ok Aidan, let’s start visualising the first treble going in. And it did. It made room in the bed for a second within seconds. If my maths are right, I have left Double 14.
Silence has fallen, the other players giving me the respect as I throw. Ok, see it going in. Yeah right. I lost my nerve and tickled the no. 9. But that’s not what matters. I had the dart at the double. And over the next few legs, I had more darts at more doubles, and while I missed some, I took out others.
I won 5 or 6 legs in total, although I could have scalped a couple more. In one, both of us must have had at least 18 shots each to take out our respective double, with my competitor finally sticking it in Double 2.
Where’s your head at?
I walked away that night very happy with my game. A few 100’s, countless 85’s, and more 60’s really had me encouraged with the week ahead. Balancing work, family and various other pieces of life’s jigsaw are certainly doing their best to challenge my time spent on the oche but the nerves are gone.

My head is in the right place. Before, if I went a couple of days without throwing I would be afraid I’d have forgotten my individual routine. Now, I walk to the board confident of a consistent throw. Before I was shocked if I hit a tonne, now I am shocked if I hit a 45.
They say talking to yourself is the first sign of madness. In fact, in this game, it is the first sign of genius. Instead of allowing the inner demons tell me I am going to miss that Double Top, I tell myself this dart is heading straight for the red bit. Having thrown 1 and 5 with my first two darts, having the ability to stick the third in the Treble 20 is imperative, and can only be done with concentration, focus and self-belief.
Barney is so close I can nearly smell him!
Just under two weeks left until I take to the oche against one of the greats. I have been looking at some of the preparation tips offered by http://www.dartsperformancecentre.com/ and hopefully they will come in to great use as the nerves heighten closer to the date. I have been told the format will be a 701 flying start. In other words, I don’t stand a chance J
I cannot wait. We have picked our entrance music, the cameraman is booked and final preparations are in place to host over 200 people cheering the Dutchman on. Or maybe they will cheer us on?
Would appreciate any comments you might have in the run up to this matchup, and as always your feedback on this week’s blog is greatly appreciated.
Cheers
A   

No comments: