Monday 31 October 2011

Patience, you are a virtue...

I feel like I have been talking about playing against Barney for way too long now, and in a matter of days I finally take to the stage against the one and only. I have spoken before about what I want from this encounter. To win would be nice, very nice. But that’s not the objective. For this game, this is just a stepping stone on my path to becoming a pro. Hopefully it will give me a little taster of what professional darts is all about.
So how have I been preparing?
Sports Editor of the Kildare Nationalist newspaper, Brendan Coffey, came down to the club last Friday to play a few legs. On a usual club night, it’s a winner stays on format for the night. And as I am not too used to winning, I tend to be up and off the board fairly soon. Last Friday night however, the club opened up their league campaign with an away trip, so I took full advantage by claiming the board.
I knew it would just be the two of us throwing, and from what Brendan had told me, he plays a little, but not a lot. So first things first; emotionally prepare for the game. I was energised, a little tired after a long week in work but I felt confident I could win. We also had a photographer, Paul Mulreid (http://www.flickr.com/people/paulmulreid/) down to take a couple of snaps for a preview of the Barney match.
                                                   Paul Mulreid Photography 089-4186574
The Opening Exchanges
So we both shared a few at the board before setting off on 501 flying start. My confidence was high, and I began at a canter. The pre-throw routine was paying early dividends;
1)      Step up to the board whilst aligning my throwing shoulder at the 20. Check
2)      Raise the left arm to fully extend and lock to the elbow. Check
3)      Draw back my arm from the elbow only, before releasing with a straight
follow through. Check
The only concern I had was my opponent was reaching the 100’s quicker than me, although I did tend to pull out a decent score when it mattered. My double’s were impressive, and found myself 6-2 up in legs.
C.O.N.C.E.N.T.R.A.T.E
I would be lying if I didn’t think I was coasting to my first win in such a long format, and my opponent was dead and buried. This is what cost me dearly. I quickly lost my rhythm, the pre-throw routine was thrown out the window and self-belief had suddenly turned to cockiness. I couldn’t find a treble in at least three legs in a row, and I found myself 8-6 behind, losing six in succession.
I was fuming. Everything was going wrong, and on two occasions I flung my third dart at the board out of utter frustration. Then a thought came into my head; get away from the board. Have a cigarette; get a drink, ANYTHING to take a break this despicable run of form.
                                                                   Paul Mulreid Photography 089-4186574
Treble 16... And I meant it!
The break seemed to work; I had a little chat with myself and re-focused on the final few legs. I needed to bring my throw back to basics, and find my routine once more. Ok so I managed to bring the game back to 9-9. This is a scenario I have never experienced before. We have been throwing for over two hours at this stage, and the arm is getting sore.   
We are both down to under a tonne, and I am left with 68. I talk myself through the process; visualise the dart nestling in the treble 16, complete my pre-throw routine and succeed. The first dart is straight in the treble, leaving double 10. Of course I don’t make things easy for myself, and nearly block the bed with my first shot.
Big deep breath... Yes! My final dart rests in the double 10, and I win the match 10-9. This was gruelling, long and a real test ahead of my next night in the club. I learned alot about my emotional strength during this match. I got too confident and lost myself. But I managed to refocus and prevail in the end.
I am going to add a few entries this week in the build up and review of my game against Barney, so keep checking for updates. As always, thanks for reading, and to those offering support it is always appreciated. Big few days coming up...
Cheers,
A

No comments: