Friday 16 September 2011

Unbelievable Tekkers

So in my first blog I had set out a number of objectives for myself in terms of beginning my road to becoming a professional thrower. With thanks to some of the comments coming from twitter (@A_Farrelly) along with some revelations of my own, it wasn’t long before I realised these objectives needed a harsh realignment.
It’s been a week since my first entry, and I hope to continue the blog on a weekly basis. So what has happened since then? Well let’s start with the positives. I have practised every night. The plan was to stand in front of that board religiously for at least two hours an evening however, something I struggled with. It wasn’t that the will wasn’t there, but actually finding the time to do this was difficult.
I did manage to uncover a pattern during my practicing, something which has started to encourage me. The first 15 minutes is awful, I am doing well to hit 3x single 20’s. But as I break through that period, my three dart average starts to rise as the darts begin to group more regularly. 20 minutes of solid practice that will include maybe two or three 140’s and some 100’s, and just maybe a three dart check out will have me feeling ready to pack for the World Grand Prix coming up in Dublin in a couple of weeks.
The confidence, as usual, starts to disappear however as my arm begins to feel the strain of throwing. With my concentration beginning to whittle away, I am suddenly back at struggling to hit single numbers. And then... I do what I know I shouldn’t do, walk away from the board in absolute frustration.
Technique
We get used to seeing the pro’s walking up to the oche time after time and blasting in regular 100’s and 140’s. How do they achieve such consistency? Is this something they just decide on or is it something they develop over the years? Do they change it every so often just to keep things fresh or is this their darting bible? Is it the difference between a social player and a top pro?
I feel this is where I need to focus on over the coming weeks. Anyone can set themselves and blast three fairly straight darts in or around the lipstick. But when you then turn around and try to do it again, before shooting a measly 45 musters that feeling of annoyance in the belly akin to stubbing your toe or banging your head off the press door. Yes it’s painful, but I'm more frustrated that I let myself do it!
So why does it happen? There are a number of factors, although the common denominator appears to be the pre-throw ritual. Whether it’s Taylor or Anderson, Whitlock or Lewis, they all go through a strict routine. They don’t just walk up and throw. Whether it’s setting their feet in a certain way, or moving the dart slowly across the face before releasing, this is the routine that works for an individual player.
Someone who I have grown to admire is Andy Hamilton, in terms of his pre-throw ritual that he sticks to rigorously. This takes patience. He proves it’s not as simple as just walking up and throwing an arrow at a board. For Hamilton, there are a number of movements before he even thinks about releasing.
Practice, Practice, Practice
That is where my focus will be over the next few weeks. I need to get comfortable on the oche, and with my throw. My determination is still there and actually growing at speed. It’s about making the time to practice that is important now, and working through the darts that sail miles from the target.
Some people have been in touch suggesting other games I can play other than 501 all the time, just to change it up a little during the practice. Thanks for that, and if you have any other suggestions, feel free to tweet or comment.
I am also planning on going to the local club in the next couple of weeks. This seems to be an important step having spoken to other players, as there is nothing like competitive games. Practising against players that are better and more experienced than me is bound to bring on my game, so I will let you know how that goes.
Keep the comments and suggestions coming.
Cheers
A

No comments: